You are here

501.7 Student Transfers Out or Withdrawals

Code No. 501.7


If the student's parents wish to withdraw or transfer the student from school prior to completing and graduating from the education program, they shall notify the superintendent or designee in writing as soon as possible of the decision to withdraw or transfer the student from the education program. The student or parent should present this written notice at the office and receive instructions regarding the return of textbooks, computer, library books, locker equipment, etc.

The notice should state the student's final day of attendance. If the student is not enrolling in another school district, the school district will maintain the student's records in the same manner as the records of students who have graduated from the school district.

If the parents wish to have the student's cumulative record sent to the new school district, the parents must notify the superintendent or designee in writing. This notice shall include the name of the school district and the person at the new school district to whom the student's cumulative records should be sent. If the new school district requests the student's cumulative records, the school district may forward the cumulative records and notify the parents the records have been sent. The notice will inform the parents of their right to review the records sent.

If the student is of compulsory education age and not transferring to another public school district or an accredited non-public school, the parents will notify the superintendent or designee that the student is receiving competent private instruction and file the necessary competent private instruction reports.

Legal Reference: 

20 US.C. § 1232g (2012).

Iowa Code §§ 274.1; 299.1-.1A (2013).

Approved 9-13-93 Reviewed    10-16-2023    Revised  2-19-2018